Date: 21 - 23 October, 2019
ABOUT NIALS - The Nigerian Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (NIALS) was established in March 1979, as Nigeria’s apex institution for research and advanced studies in law. The Institute is also accredited to offer Mandatory Continuing Legal Education for Lawyers. In fulfilment of its mandate, it organises national and international seminars, symposia, conferences, workshops and lectures on any branch of law and related subjects.
ABOUT THE COURSE - Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) has in recent years, gained widespread recognition and approval among Judges, Lawyers and the general public. Rule 15 (3) (d) of the 2007 Rules of Professional Conduct for legal Practitioners, mandates lawyers to inform their clients of the option of ADR mechanisms before resorting to or continuing litigation on behalf of their clients. The huge preference for ADR can be explained by the in- creasing caseload of conventional courts that result in inordinate delays, the awareness that ADR is quite cheaper than litigation, a preference for confidentiality, and the desire of some parties to have greater control over the selection of the individual (s) who will decide their dispute. The success rate of ADR methods in speedy and amicable resolution of various kinds of disputes makes it even more compelling.
The aim of the Course is to expose lawyers in the private and public sector to the simple use of ADR as a means to resolving disputes other than the traditional court and administrative forums. Particularly, the Course aims to
- Provide understanding of ADR Processes;
- Create awareness on the value of ADR and its efficacy in resolving disputes in both private and public sector;
- Provide insights into the Law and Practice of Arbitration in Nigeria and the Enforcement of Arbitral Awards;
- Examine the Place of ADR in the Legal Profession, etc.
TARGET PARTICIPANTS - Private Legal Practitioners (particularly those in commercial law, civil and criminal law practice), Lawyers in Banks, Insurance Companies, Mortgage Institutions, Regulatory Agencies, Company Secretaries, Academics, Labour Unionists, Legal Advisers, Judges of various Courts, Magistrates, State Counsel, Law Officers in Government Agencies, Administrative Officers in Government Ministries and Parastatals, Law Enforcement Officials, Administrative Officers in Private Organisations and Companies, as well as other interested participants.
TOPICS TO BE TREATED - The topics designed for the Course include:
- Overview of the ADR Processes
- The Law and Practice of International Commercial Arbitration;
- Recognition and Enforcement of Arbitral Awards in Nigeria;
- Alternative Dispute Resolution and the Courts: The Interface Between the Courts and the Multi-Door Courthouse (MDC);
- Understanding the Negotiation Process: Theories and Practice;
- Mediation Skills in Commercial Disputes;
- Employment Dispute Resolution;
- Negotiation and Mediation Role Plays; etc.
COURSE SCHEDULE - The Course is scheduled to hold as follows:
- Venue: Abuja.
- Date: 21st– 23rd October, 2019
- Time: 9.00 am daily (Registration will commence at 8:30am on 21st October, 2019).
COURSE FEE - The Course Fee is N120, 000 (one hundred and twenty thousand naira only). The fee is inclusive of VAT and WHT and covers course materials, tea and lunch only. For information on how to make payment, kindly visit http://nials.edu.ng/index.php/courses/remita-payment-guide .
REGISTRATION - Pre-registration of this Course is necessary. To register please fill the registration form below.